Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Entomologist


Dear Friends,

Here is another early sculpture piece. The title is self explanatory. This cat is inspecting a beetle ( which, by the way, is superbly rendered if I do say so myself ), but has no intention whatever of actually touching it. If you have cats, you know this situation. This piece is about 12" high and a tad longer. It is made of water based clay, fired to stone hardness, and it sits on a base of hand rubbed wood.

I've entered this in a couple of shows and it's done well, receiving good reviews and winning prizes. Judges seem to like the looseness.

I did this one early on in my sculpture learning process and I hope I've improved some since then. But maybe not. You'll have to be the judge as I present the pieces as they came later. There are some horses and those will come along in the blog soon. I hope you like this.

Our place is a riot of purple color right now. Since the bad drought last year killed off much of our grass, even the native stuff, the fields have been taken over by the weed species. In our case, at least the weeds are beautiful purple prairie verbena. I should post a photo just so you can see it. Maybe I will.

Best regards,

Jay

No comments: