Thursday, March 29, 2012

Big Bend


Readers,

I know I said I'd post more sculptures, but I forgot I had this painting which I thought needed to be posted. It's an oil, done on gessoed canvas, and is 16x20, which is all different from my usual painting base.

Several of my artist friends and I made a couple of trips out to Big Bend in the late winter a few years ago and while most of those plein air paintings are sold, this painting, done from photos taken on those trips, is still around. Actually, I did this about a year ago after attending a workshop by a famous western landscape artist who came to the Coppini. She works from photos and I decided to try that, since I rarely do that at all. I think she had a good influence on me.

The purple verbena here is still a riot of lavender color all over our place. I've had a couple of groups of painters come out to paint but I can see that the plants are starting to get leggy and it won't be long before Steve will insist on mowing it all. Well, we need to let the grass, such as it is, grow without being shaded out by flowers. Texas is really nice when the rains come regularly.

No comments: