Thursday, July 24, 2008

More California Paintings


Dear All,
I am sending along a couple more of the California paintings done Plein Air. The tree was done at Carmel, along the beach. And the surf painting was done at Point Lobos, which is near Carmel.
I am so sorry to have not gotten anything on the blog the past couple of days and am grateful for those of you who have shown such an interest. I'll try to keep up with it in a more timely fashion.
These paintings are both done in oil on 8"x10" gessoed board and are framed in gold Plein Air wide frames. They were almost entirely done on location but were adjusted a little in the studio.
The trip to California was a couple of years ago and was a golden opportunity. I went with a group of other Texas artists and we were there just to paint. We went out every day from our home base, a rented house in Carmel, and painted at least one painting each day, and often did two or even three. It was a great experience. We saw seals and sea lions and various species of dolphins and whales, not to mention the western bird species I had not seen before. I kept a pair of binoculars on my chair while painting so that I would not miss any chance to see all the wonderful wildlife out there.
I've sold many of those paintings but still have some left, including these two. I'll post some more at a later time. In the meantime, I am working on three dog paintings I am excited about. I can't post them until the dog owner sees them, but I'll keep you informed on how those are going.
If you are having trouble making comments on this site, please just send me an email, jaylauver@sprintmail.com. I have tried to change the comments section so anyone can do so without having to sign in, but there still seem to be problems for some folks.
We are enjoying Dolly rain right now. Its' a sad state of affairs when you welcome a hurricane!
Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What CAN'T you paint?
These are gorgeous! That is my favorite part of California and you captured it beautifully!

Sarah said...

I love these. Maybe it's because I'm living in California but these are just great. By the way, I have one of your Carmel paintings framed in my office on the wall that I look at every day. I'm enjoying your posts!