Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Old Fashioned Roses

This is an oldie but a goodie. I know I said I don't like doing flowers, and I don't, but now and then a good opportunity arises. In this case it was roses. Now roses don't intimidate me as much as other flowers for some reason. I can make a bunch of indistinct, non-drawn, blobs and if my values are right, I'm good. I don't think you even have to have good color to do roses. Just good values and an approximation of the drawing. Well, and good composition. I still have this one because it is one of the few flower paintings I've ever done which I like. Notice that the one with the vase which I also liked was also roses. Yup. Blobs. I promise never to do a sunflower.

Jay

1 comment:

Susan Carlin said...

Never say never, Jay. These roses are just beautiful.