Monday, August 25, 2008

Pears


Those of you who know how much I hate to do still-life will be proud of me. Peggy and I actually set this up at my studio and painted it without an instructor looming over us with a whip. Well, Peggy doesn't need to be battered. She likes still-life. I, on the other hand, detest it. It's way too technical for me. And, ok, I admit it, I don't even like other artists' still-lifes. And if it has flowers in it? Whoa, Katy, let me out that door! Now THAT'S complicated! Unfortunately most workshops I encounter are offered in still-life. I don't know if that's because most people are more mindful of technique and detail than I am or if they just don't want to get mosquito-bit outdoors. Now I try to paint my landscapes en plein air, and the reason is that I fully understand the criticism of painting from photos--that the light lies, the color lies, the perspective lies, etc., but I would way rather do that than paint something which just sits on a table doing nothing but gathering, reflecting, emitting and changing light. So confusing.
So, anyway, this is a still-life of pears. At least you can eat the subject matter when you get tired of it.
Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on Still Life.
If I wanted to look at some pears, apples, flowers etc - I would buy them and put them on a table! Then - I would end up feeding them to the deer :) :) :)

Susan Carlin said...

You crack me up.